The Opportunity Junction board has adopted an official DEIAB Statement to summarize our commitments to diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and belonging in the workplace and in the community. The statement can be read below and found on our website here.
Opportunity Junction was founded in 2000 on the core belief that everyone who works hard deserves the opportunity to succeed. Diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and belonging (DEIAB) are central to our work. We welcome people of all different religions, races, ethnicities, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, sizes, abilities, ages, education, and other identifications.
We are committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and belonging in all aspects of the organization:
- Job Seekers: We include and elevate the perspectives of local job seekers and program participants, supporting and valuing their leadership. Program alumni serve on our staff, our Board of Directors, and our advisory council. We also have an Alumni Council that provides input on programs and alumni services.
- Community: We share our knowledge and progress with our employers, partners, supporters, and other community members to foster equity and inclusion throughout the community. We advocate for policies that promote equity and racial justice in areas that affect our participants, including employment, housing, healthcare, childcare, and broadband access.
- Board Membership: Our Board of Directors reflects the rich diversity of the communities we serve.
- Employment: We strive to have staffing at every level of the organization mirror the diversity in the communities we serve. Recruitment and competency-based hiring practices demonstrate a commitment to the value of inclusion. We foster a workplace that respects each individual, seeks and values diverse perspectives, and ensures each employee can actively contribute to fulfilling the organization’s mission.
- Programming: We create and implement programs using our awareness of cultural differences and treat all participants with respect. We seek engagement and input from our board members, employees, participants, funders, and other stakeholders to ensure that our programs are impactful, equitable, inclusive, and aligned with our mission.
- Policies and Procedures: Our commitment to DEIAB is evident in our organizational policies and procedures, as part of our strategic plan, and within our organizational goals.
- Funders and Donors: We share our commitment to DEIAB as a core value and practice with current and potential funders and donors and encourage our contributors to consider and embrace this.
We recognize that the pursuit of diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and belonging is never finished. Therefore, we commit to ongoing evaluation and learning to ensure continuous improvement.